I will do a progress check after the 1st week
A public service announcement (PSA) is a type of advertisement featured on television, radio, print or other media. Whereas the objective of a standard advertisement is to market a product, a PSA is intended to benefit the public interest, by raising awareness of an issue, affecting public attitudes, and potentially stimulating action. The most common topics of PSAs are health and safety. A typical PSA is part of a public awareness campaign to inform or educate the public about an issue. The range of possible topics has expanded over time.
The concept of a PSA has expanded so much that some advertisement companies have used it to advertise products in a humorous manner, such as the new “Dentyne Safe Breath Alliance” commercials. The issue is “bad breath,” which cannot be cured by chewing gum just masked by the smell of the gum.
You are to create a PSA to raise awareness about an issue. You may take a serious or humorous approach to your PSA, I would like you to be creative and think outside the box about the issue you choose. It is all about how you present your issue.
- Who are you talking too?
- Grab their attention using visual effects, creativity, humor, or scare tactics
- Keep the focus narrow and don’t try to reach multiple groups
- Think about their needs, preferences, and what might turn them off
A Specific Purpose
- Spell it out for your audience
- Imply it within the story line
- Example: Cyber Bullying
- Raise the awareness of cyber bullying
- Stop bullying before it happens
- Adopt a new behavior to stop cyber bullying
- Give a number to call to help
- For more information call…
- Visit www. ____.org for more info
Points to Remember
- Focus on a simple, clear, single message that does one of the following:
- Create an awareness of the problem or issue
- Show the importance of a problem or issue
- Convey simple forms of new information
- Promote behavioral change
- Create a logo for your issue in order for it to appear somewhere throughout your PSA
- A minimum of 30 seconds in length
- You may use a video camera
- There needs to be a story line in order to present your issue
- Use After Effects to compose the PSA
- Composition Presets:
- NTDC DV
- Width: 720 pixels
- Height: 480 pixels
- Have smooth transitions between video and graphic clips
- No images from the internet (ALL ORIGINAL)
- Include text that has smooth transitions.
- At the end of the PSA include credits
- Created by: Joe Smith
- Starring: Jane Smith
- Produced by: Ad Council
- Special Thanks to Mr. Lopez for being AWESOME