We are visually impacted by the images and events we experience on a daily basis. Whether we are consciously aware of how much it affects our perception of the world may be a different story. This assignment calls for you to look critically at the issues that impact us in order to create a sophisticated visual response. You will assume the roles of a reporter and analyst in an exploration of the nature of our society. In other words, you will be creating artwork that comments on social issues that you feel are important.
- Document size: 12 x 18 inches
- Resolution 200
- Choose a social issue that you feel is important.
- Create a collage of internet articles to be used as a background.
- Find a simple image that sums up your social issue.
- Use bold text (Stick to 1-2 words) to put under the image
- Respond to the following questions in paragraph form. (Use complete sentences and explain your answers.)
- What issue(s) did you explore and why?
- Why is this social issue important to you?
- Explain the reasons for choosing the image you chose.
- How does your artwork stress the importance of your social issue?
- Explain what you want the viewer to get out of your artwork?
- Print out your stencil and cut it out in order to spray paint it onto your background.
- Research specific social issues that are important to you by going to google.com, yahoo.com, or any other search engines.
- If you are having trouble coming up with a social issue you may want to check up these websites: news.google.com, cnn.com, Washington Post, NY Times
- Once you find and article that matches your social issue you are ready to save it as a PDF file to place on your background.
- Locate the printer icon on the page of your article in order to view the text only without the images.
- Now go to File -> Print and when the print window shows up select PDF on the bottom left corner of the window.
A drop down menu will show up and you need to choose “Save as PDF”
- Save the document to your desktop or a folder where you can easily find it.
- Find 2-3 more articles and repeat steps 4-6.
- Think of a simple image that would sum up your social issue. This image should help get your message across to your viewer.
- Width: 12
- Height: 18
- Resolution: 200
- Color Mode: RGB as usual
- Background contents: White or Transparent
- Go File –> Place –> and search for your PDF articles in order to place them into your document.
- Arrange your articles into a collage to cover up the white background. You may rotate the articles and enlarge them to focus on specific sentences or headlines.
- Go File –> Place –> and search for your image (step #8) and place it into your document.
- Enlarge your image by holding [command] + [T] and have it cover most of your document (remember to hold Shift). Leave some space at the bottom to add BIG BOLD text.
- Rasterize your image layer by right clicking on the layer and selecting “Rasterize Layer.” This will let you delete the background from your image.
- Delete the background from your picture in order to see the checkered background. You may use the eraser, quick selection, and/or magic wand tool.
- Make a stencil out of your image by adding a Black and White Adjustment Layer, which is located in your Adjustment Panel. This will make your picture into gray scale. Remember to clip the adjustment layer so that it only affects the picture
- Add an Exposure Adjustment Layer, which is also located in your Adjustment Panel. Clip the adjustment layer.
- You will now make sure that the Gamma and Offset toggles are all the way to the right.
- Move the Exposure toggle a little to the right until you get the desired effect.
- Choose a clean and easy to read typeface and add BIG BOLD text under your image to bring home the message about your social issue.
- Print out your stencil and bold text on the manilla folder. Make sure to turn off your article layers so that only your BIG BOLD text and stencil are the only things that print out.
- Print out only your background articles. Turn off your stencil and bold text layers.
- Trace your stencil and bold text onto a manila folder and begin to cut it out with an X-acto knife.
- Glue your stencil onto your background printed articles and spray paint it outside.
- Let it dry outside for 5 minutes.
- Answer the 4 questions in paragraph form using the program TEXT EDIT.